Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I built my first Dirt House

Experiment number one was a success! I set out to make myself a small model dirt house to learn something and see what the labor was like. I learned a bunch, I have so many more questions now, I was sore for two days, and severely sunburned... I can't wait to do it again!!!








I used fabric and sheets from the thrift store and unsifted fill dirt that cost $10 a yard. The dirt house is about 4 1/2 feet tall and it used about 3/4 yards of fill dirt.

2 comments:

  1. How VERY cool! What a great idea to try a small version first! Did you sew the fabric into tubes first? Would love to read more details on your experience. :D
    ~Pippi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi. Followed you here from Etsy, your jewelry is beautiful. I too am interested in this type of housing, though I am still so deeply enmeshed in the "normal" world that I wonder if I will ever be able to get out...
    The thing about these domes, they look as if they'd be very dark inside, and somewhat claustrophobic. Have you ever been in a human sized one?

    ReplyDelete